Location: MetroWest Boston or Charlottesville, VA
BrightSpec is a rapidly growing life science tools company launching a powerful, unique, and proprietary analytical platform. We are seeking an experienced Software Product Manager who will be responsible for managing the product definition for Brightspec’s software offering, with a focus on translating user requirements into actionable work items for the development team. Other responsibilities may include but are not limited to defining the product vision and product road map within the overall company product plan and industry software landscape; refining the software business model; writing the validation plan; developing marketing tools; managing the product launch; and soliciting customer feedback for future product improvements. The SW Product Manager will work across many functions, including Marketing, Product and Software Development, and Sales. The candidate will be responsible for developing the product roadmap, possess the technical and applications depth of knowledge to be able to define clear software product requirements, provide competitive benchmarking analysis, develop marketing/sales tools and collateral, provide training to the sales force, and interact with customers to assess product performance.
Candidates should enjoy working in a fast-paced, mission-driven environment and be prepared to tackle a broad set of challenges as the company grows. This is an excellent opportunity for rapid career advancement in a fast-growing small company as the product leader of the software platform for a groundbreaking new analytical tool.
- Own all software product requirements for instrument control and data processing.
- Define the specifications required to interact with 3rd party data processing solutions already adopted by industrial and academic customers.
- Routinely collect Voice of the Customer (VoC) for software products and use this to drive product enhancements.
- Conduct product presentations demonstrating instrument control with software integrated into overall instrument/user workflows.
- Must be able to interact with customers throughout the product development process to ensure product design and performance meet customer expectations.
- Create wireframes and mock-ups to aid in specifying requirements.
- Lead the verification and validation of software workflows to ensure that customer needs are met.
- Prioritize features and bug fixes and work with Software Development to ensure efficient delivery of software releases.
- Support sales and marketing with the necessary product knowledge and technical expertise
- Develop sales tools and sales training material as it relates to software and workflow solutions.
- Provide input for marketing collateral development
- Manage product related support, feedback and inquiries from users; track customer feedback to provide input into future product improvements.
- Support sales as field technical and subject matter expert
- Coordinate market research to track customer and end-user feedback
Requirements – Must Have
- Experience with software packages that either control analytical instrumentation or manage lab chemistry data (ideally both)
- Understanding of the product management process, preferably in the life science tools or software industries, including defining market and product requirements, market landscape, and voice of customer engagement
- Demonstrated ability to work in a cross-disciplinary team
- Creativity, listening skills, problem-solving ability to help bring customer needs to life in well-defined software feature requirements
Requirements – Nice to Have:
The successful candidate will have at least some of the following:
- Chemistry or related degree
- Experience in analytical chemistry
- Software engineering experience or experience working with software engineers
- Product management experience
- Direct experience working with control software for analytical instruments (MS, GC, LC, NMR, etc.)
- Direct experience working with lab data management solutions and tools and computational chemistry software
- Direct experience working with AI software, especially AI tools used in chemistry development
- Understanding/experience with SaaS and web-based delivery of software services and data subscriptions
- Experience using software and product management tools such as Excel, Powerpoint, Balsamiq, Visio, Jira, Microsoft Project, etc.
Backed by leading venture capital investors, BrightSpec is an innovative life science tools company offering instruments that harness the power of molecular rotational resonance (MRR) spectroscopy. MRR enables rapid, unambiguous molecular ID and quantitative analysis of mixtures, without separation or chemometrics, and no reference samples are needed. BrightSpec is working with leading pharma, industrial, and academic groups to develop breakthrough methods that will enable important advances in Discovery, Manufacturing, and QAQC. The work is supported by a rising number of publications using BrightSpec instruments. BrightSpec offices are located in Charlottesville, VA, and the MetroWest region of Boston, MA. BrightSpec is committed to a diverse workforce and offers competitive benefits. Please submit your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.