Location: Natick, MA
BrightSpec is a rapidly growing life science tools company launching a powerful, unique, and proprietary analytical platform. We are seeking an experienced Electrical RF Engineer who will support the product development and production of our first-in-class Molecular Rotational Resonance (MRR) platform. This individual must demonstrate a strong track record of developing electrical systems, RF/Microwave circuits and PCBA designs to support our new MRR instrument product launches.
As an Electrical RF Engineer, you will be involved in all aspects of the electrical design to support the product release and production scale-up of our new MRR instrument product lines. This would include but not limited to selecting electrical components, designing digital, analog, and RF circuitry, designing new Printed Circuit Board Assemblies and developing test requirements, working closely with our suppliers and Contract Manufacturers to scale-up production.
Candidates should enjoy working in a fast-paced, mission-driven environment and be prepared to tackle a broad set of challenges as the company grows. This is an excellent opportunity for rapid career advancement in a fast-growing small company.
Responsibilities… What you’ll do:
- Create and design electronic and RF/Microwave systems, PCBAs and specifications to meet product performance goals.
- Design electronic RF/Microwave and PCB circuits applying ECAD tools for schematic entry, design simulation, and layout.
- Collaborate with suppliers to deliver optimized designs and documentation.
- Author and lead all aspects of verification activities for electronic circuit designs, PCBA designs, and system performance.
- Create and maintain Design History Files; schematics, network diagrams, specifications, Bill-of-Materials, and test requirements for electrical systems.
- Participate in Technical Design Reviews with cross-functional teams.
- Verify product testing and performance against design inputs. Write verification protocols, perform testing, analyze and interpret test data, write and present design verification reports.
- Willingness to travel up to 20% to suppliers, CMOs and to our Charlottesville, VA facility.
Qualifications… Must Haves:
- B.S. Degree in Electrical Engineering (or equivalent).
- Minimum of 3 years relevant experience in developing the technical design feasibility, creation, and verification of new and existing PCBA products with scientists and technology development personnel.
- Working knowledge of RF components including microwave amplifiers, filters, single-sideband and double-balanced mixers, splitters/combiners, switches, and other related components.
- Proficient in ECAD tools for circuit design, PCBA layout and schematic creation.
- Hands-on experience in building prototype evaluation PCBA boards and testing of components and assemblies
- Technical writing of Scope of Work, Design Verification & Validation protocols and reports
- Proficient with Microsoft Office tools; Word, Excel, Power Point, Project and Visio.
Desirable… Good to Haves:
- Master’s Degree in Electrical Engineering, Software Engineering or Computer Science.
- Electrical design and test development experience with RF/Microwave circuits. Experience with signal generation sources such as phase-locked-loop (PLL), direct digital synthesis (DDS), and arbitrary waveform generators (AWG) a plus.
- Knowledge of PCBA test coverage and methods such as; flying probe, functional tests and In-Circuit Test development.
- Experience in a regulated manufacturing environment; ISO-9001, medical devices ISO-13485 and/or cGMP.
Backed by leading venture capital investors, BrightSpec is an innovative life science tools company offering instruments that harness the power of molecular rotational resonance (MRR) spectroscopy. MRR enables rapid, unambiguous molecular ID and quantitative analysis of mixtures, without separation or chemometrics, and no reference samples are needed. BrightSpec is working with leading pharma, industrial, and academic groups to develop breakthrough methods that will enable important advances in Discovery, Manufacturing, and QAQC. The work is supported by a rising number of publications using BrightSpec instruments. BrightSpec offices are located in Charlottesville, VA, and the MetroWest region of Boston, MA. BrightSpec is committed to a diverse workforce and offers competitive benefits.